Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas

So we are less than 24 hours away from Christmas officially being here and I'm actually excited. Sad that it has taken me so long to get excited for Christmas but I am and that's all that matters. Sad b/c I allowed all the stuff that shouldn't get to me to cloud why I really celebrate Christmas, what Christmas means to me, why it's not just a day of presents and food and family. For me it's the celebration, the birthday of my Savior, my Lord, Jesus. A little over 2000 years ago He was born in a manger and died 33 years later for me. I am sad with myself that I let the hoopla that has been created in today's society cloud and affect how I should have been feeling all along. Happy and in awe, rejoicing His birth, content in all that He has done for me and those around me.

I got soo caught up in the wordly aspect of it all, the shopping (or lack there of for me) for presents for people, the whole we have to do this and do that, all the issues that come with Christmas year after year. I got to help people out this year. Our church among about 21 other churches got together and did this thing called Feed the Bay. It was really neat. After church (and sitting through one of the shortest sermons I've ever sat through in my life, no lie it was like 10 mins max lol) people from the churches went shopping for food, not for ourselves or our families but for others. We were given a list of foods that food pantries need and so we went and shopped for them then gave them to the drop off places right there at the store. The two major chains here Publix and Sweetbay (Sweetbay rocked b/c they gave 5% of the what was bought back to Feed the Bay) were who sponsored it. Then my Lifegroup went to a Food Pantry and we helped stock the shelves. There was soo much food (in total we all collected about 270,000lbs of food) but yet it was going to be no where near enough to last them very long. Yet it felt good to help out, even that tiny bit that I did. Then we just gave money to help build wells in other countries where they don't have running water or even anything close to clean water to Water for Life . It was just money to us but it was more than that, it was us giving what we would have used for presents to help others giving something that would only make others temporarily happy to those that will affect their lives forever.

My Lifegroup adopted this family who have 4 kids, the mother is on disability and the father had to stop working to help take care of her and the kids (the kids are 10, 4,3,and 2). So they didn't know how they were going to give them a Christmas this year esp with how the economy has been. I took the 10 year old as I have a 10 year old sister as some of you know and she likes all the things that this 10 year old liked plus Loralei likes it too so it was easy for me. So here's the funny/cool part. I was emailing my Lifegroup leader to tell them we would take the 10 year old. I didn't even pay attention to the name just the age and Loralei was talking and was like oh Destiny (my sister) is 10 too, that's cool mommy. Then I look down at my phone (which is where I was emailing from) and saw the name of the little girl. Her name is also Destiny. So anyways I just thought that was kind of cool and neat and would share :) So I hope they have a Merry Christmas and we know that the parents are very thankful for the gifts for the kids as they repeatedly tell our Lifegroup leader.

So it felt good to help those people and put things back into perspective of what this holiday is all about. Giving and helping and loving and just being with those that you love and care for and remembering what the day is all about to me and many others, the birth of Jesus Christ. Not presents, not food, not having a good ol time. There is nothing wrong with any of that, but that's not what Christmas is about, not to me anyways. It's remembering that Christ was born for us so that He could die 33 years later so that we could one day go to Heaven when we die if we choose to accept Him as our Savior and ask for forgiveness of our sins. His Love for us!

We also scaled back on what we are getting/got Loralei for Christmas. We are not going overboard anymore. This child has more toys and clothes and books and whatever else you can think of than she knows what to do with them. So we just got her a few things and that's it. Nothing huge or special. We didn't get a tree this year b/c of her behavior and her not listening, now before someone gasps and goes OMG how could you not get a tree, she has a tree that is like 2 feet that we are going to use, it's not like she has some huge presents she is getting from us so it doesn't matter. It was actually nice to not have to worry about a tree this year. Though possibly it would have helped me get in the Christmas mood but who knows lol

So Christmas is almost here and I'm excited. Can't wait to see how she reacts to her presents we got her and to celebrate the birth of my Savior. Oh and to have good yummy food too doesn't hurt :) Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! Love all of you and wish I could be with you all on Christmas, we could have some fun! God Bless everyone!

No comments: